Stick Pin Tutorial | The Flamingo Chronicals: Stick Pin Tutorial

Stick Pin Tutorial


using plain floral pins to make decorative stick pins
Stick pins are a great embellishment- I use them in so many ways. I add them to my layouts, to cards, to pretty much everything. Today's post is all about showing you how to make your own!

Stick pins, they are available in all shapes, colors and sizes. You can get a whole lot of them in one box for not a whole lot of $$$  Recognize that one of the bottom right???? 72 of them for $3.90.

floral pins come in all shapes to make a variety of stick pins
I am fortunate enough to live right down the road from
a floral supply house, so I can pick up a lot of mine there. 
But if you Google "Corsage Pins" you will find an AMAZING array of them.

Glass beads and jewelry findings dress up your stick pins
You will also need beads, some small metal findings and Glossy Accents
I use glass and crystal beads, because I like sparkle, but you can use 
whatever you like. I buy them when ever they are on sale.

Adding glass beads to stick pins.
Now for the fun part! Simply thread your beads onto the pins. When you have your pin looking how you want it, slide the last two beads back down just a little bit and add a tiny bit of Glossy Accents
on the shank on the pin. Then slide the beads back in place. I usually do this for the last two beads/findings.If you just glue the beads together, they will still slide down the pin, so it is important to get the glue on the shank itself. Lay it down flat to dry.
THAT IS IT! You just made a stick pin :o)
Now make a few more, in the colors that you know you will use on your projects. 

Here are some I made the other day. 
beautiful decorative stick pins.
I know that I use a lot of pinks, greens, blues, and blacks. 
So these are the colors I used this time.

decorative stick pins
Whenever I find interesting beads / findings on sale, I pick them up. I love that sea 
shell shaped finding pictured here.

decorative stick pins
I try to keep a variety of sizes, shapes and colors on hand, so when I am in the middle
of a project I can just reach over to my pin cushion and pluck one out.

Decorative stick pins
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial on making stick pins. I would really love your feedback!
If you need help in finding pins, please email me and I would be glad to help.

36 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the tips. Your pins are beautiful! I was wondering what you used for adhesive, never would have thought of glossy accents. I always have that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pins and wonderful photos! Great idea to use the Glossy Accents to hold the beads in place. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW...your pins are BEAUtiful Anita! Lovely job!! : ]

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tutorial!! I want to try them this year, so I've been looking for one with simple steps!! Thank you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pins are amazing! thanks for sharing!

    thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and taking the time to write such kind comment. I would be honored if you stopped by again sometime or even signed up to follow me and I would do the same! thanks-mp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea how nice of you to share this idea with us. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These stick-pins are just lovely! great money saving idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them. How do you use them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I use them on my LO's all the time. I add them to my flower clusters or to ribbons/bows. If you will scroll thru my blog, you will see them on almost all my pages. You can also use them in lots of ways on altered pieces. They look great added to floral arrangements too.

      Delete
    2. Hi I love your stick pins, but I was wondering, what size is the largest, as I googled and the first web page was michaels, and they had corsage pins, but only 2 inches long, i couldnt find any stick pins, similar to your wiht the head already on. rochelle

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous gorgeous all of them, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW Anita - these are so gorgeous!!! I love them as a little bouquet, too! Thanks for such a wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tutorial on stick pins! I'd never heard of them before until yesterday when a couple of ladies at work are talking about an exchange. Had no idea! Thanks again,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came here to an old friend's site via a Pinterest Board. What a fun surprise! I am in my "vintage" phase, and am so in love with stick pins. I am definitely going to make one...ok, 20! hehe Thanks, Anita!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial. How long should the pins be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi, I use pins of all different lengths, anywhere between 2 and 4 inches long.

      Delete
  14. wow - totally easy - great tutorial TFS Anita

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for sharing, they are wonderful, cant wait to try to make, dumb question, what is glossy accents? thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello, i cant leave my name because i dont have any of those accts and i wanna sign up for email, but mine is gmail and thats not a choice : (

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice tutorial! This is on my to do list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing - love your pin cushion of pins!!! Thanks for the tutorial. Not something I've tried, but maybe now I will!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great tutorial, Anita! thank you! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  20. Olá, estou no Brasil e não encontro aqui, quero criar pins para Chapéu, vc pode me ajudar me enviando links de onde comprar, seria muito grata, pois faria uma bela coleção para cloches Hats. saudações. Deth Haak.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello
    Please share where you find the pins. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I pick them up in the floral department of crafts stores, or if you google "Floral Pins" you will find them that way. There is not as mush selection now as there was when I made this tutorial. Good Luck!

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. love them thank you for sharing, greatings from Ria

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anita, Thanks for sharing your pins. I am just developing a taste for the art and am so appreciative of your blog.
    I live on Long Island, Suffolk County, New York and I am searching for places to acquire beads. Do you have any ideas on where I should look? Also looking for pins. So far I see that Amazon has a package that are reasonably priced. Any assistance you can forward to me would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta - the easiest way to find them is to search "Floral Pin" on google or amazon. I like to use a variety of sizes from 1" all the way to 4", depending on what I am using the finished product for. Floral supply sites have them, as does Maya Road - so be sure to check there as well.

      Delete
  25. Anita, Thank you so much for your response and suggestions. I will keep you posted on my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Where can I find glossy accents?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Where can I find glossy accents?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Joann's or online at Amazon.Not sure if Michael's carries it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Where do i get 8" pins to purchase with the head tacked on.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful pins.......where can I buy the beads to make hat pins. Im love the bling beads and I wanted to know where do I buy the glossy accents and the glass and crystal beads

    ReplyDelete