Spring Banner- Home Decor | The Flamingo Chronicals: Spring Banner- Home Decor

Spring Banner- Home Decor

Hi everyone, I am guest blogging over on Craft Paper Scissors, be sure to stop by and check out all the amazing projects!  I love Spring! It is my favorite time of year. Everything is coming alive in the yard, the birds are singing, the flowers are blooming and the world is happy. I like for my decor in the house to reflect those same feelings so cheery and full of color is the name of the game.

This year a created a new banner using laser cut wood pieces, cardstock, colorful flowers, and lots and lots of fun ribbon!


I found these wood cutouts at a popular chain craft store last month and I knew that I had to make a banner with them- they just yelled SPRING at me from the shelf. I started by covering the wood with two layers of VersaMagic ink in Pink Petunia, glueing them to cardstock when dry.


I pulled out my trusty decorative edge scissors and trimmed around the edges of the shapes- no measuring, I just eyeballed it. Then the real fun began! I pulled lots of spring colored flowers from my stash (have you seen my Prima Breeding Program?) and started layering them together. For the section on the right above, I punched three pieces of patterned cardstock in staggered sizes, shaped them, layered them together using foam tape, then added that onto a larger daisy. Easy peasy- super fun flower!


For the flower on the left I used vintage crepe paper and an XXL Glue Dot to create the back section, then adhered a ruffled flower in the center to complete the look. I have several tutorials on making your own flowers here.

For the section on the left I made a ruffled flower using Italian Crepe Paper, using a Maya Road trinket as the center, then adhered it into a hoarded vintage Martha Stewart paper flower (shown in the previous photo on the right). For the right section, I layered 7-8 hoarded vintage Prima flowers, using my Tiny Attacher to secure them in the center. These are the nice, big ones they used to make that came in the cans that are about 4" across. I really miss those!

 Something I do every time I make a banner is group lots of ribbons between each section. I just love the way this looks. I picked up this technique years and years ago in a class, so long ago I don't even remember what the class was about or for! The process is simple- grab a bunch of different ribbons, clip them to about 4" and lay them on your work surface. Take one ribbon and clip it a little longer- about 6" and use this one to tie all the others into a bunch, using a sturdy knot. Then tie that onto whatever string you have going from section to section. Easy peasy.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

No comments:

Post a Comment